Thursday, November 12, 2015

The next steps for me...

Posted from Facebook....

   Tuesday afternoon---I guess you might say that I'm very lucky in that respect. It's an Immunotherapy like med and is given via IV, much like Chemo. Apparently the Chemo did NOT work for me and is why my tumor is back and growing faster! Pretty much this is the ONLY hope I have right now ...so PLEASE pray that it will work and the Radiation will help shrink the tumor too! It is pretty upsetting to realize just how deadly this illness can be, especially when the tumors do NOT respond to the Chemo. This drug has been FDA Approved for advanced Melanoma since March and there is a lot of data that shows it can work well. However, with it being such new drug, despite the positive clinical trials, there is just NOT a lot of data or research available. My oncologist, feels it (based on the trails and her research) that it can work well and she has been involved in many of the studies. She was thrilled when it did receive the FDA approval last month. Had it not been approved, I likely would not have been fortunate enough to have the chance to try it..so I am happy about that! Even so, this is a lot to absorb and has made me know realize that my cancer is far more advanced than I knew (or wanted to accept) UGH!

   Update:  I started my Radiation, Tuesday afternoon, that the set up done, the "tattoos" and so forth, the first treatment is on Sacredness and I'll have TEN in a row before we leave for SD.  I'm being "Radiated"at a higher dose, so that I'll get faster results with less treatments.  

   HOPING....and taking one day and on moment at a time...

No comments: