Wednesday, March 9, 2016

More on my Cancer and CT Results...

   After a fun morning at a Stampin' Up workshop, I returned home to head to the hospital for my bi-weekly lab work and appointment with Dr. Sunkara.   When I arrived there I found out that I would not be having an Infusion, today, as planned, since it's too early and it needs to be two weeks from the last one, before insurance will cover it.  No shock there, and I guess I'm happy to get a little break and will be back there next Monday for Labs and Tuesday for Opdivo # 7.

     Luckily, I did spend some time with Dr. Sunkara, and as I pretty much knew, I'm doing well with the cancer and currently in a form of remission, but as of now, there is still no known cure for my type and stage of lung cancer!   It's still treatable and I'm still fighting, but I have to face that I may very well come back, as it did before.   I'm NOT giving up and I know this will be a hard battle, but I still HOPE to win it. The Opdivo and the Radiation has helped greatly, but as I've known since my original diagnosis (almost a full year now 3/27/16), having Stage IV cancer that has spread (to my brain), is pretty bad....!

      I'm a bit down, but I think in my heart, I already knew this and was a bit too excited about the tumor being gone again.   I guess I had hoped the Opdivo may be the miracle I needed, and while it may be, right now it is not been proven as a cure for late stage lung cancer. Even so, it will continue to boost my immune system to be able to better fight the cancer cells. If this does not work, there are still more options, including other types of Chemo and more radiation, (which I would hate), but never say never! For now I'm stable...and in the cancer world that's actually a good thing--so I'll continue to take one day at a time....and continue to HOPE for my cure.

    And for anyone who may be wondering about the costs....it's crazy high and this year with Hubby's health insurance, we have a $3,000 deductible and then have to also pay 10% co-insurance until we had paid another $7,200 out of pocket.  It's crazy and no wonder we are feeling broke and can no longer save a dime.   We did start another HSA Account, which comes directly from his Paycheck at $120 per Pay period (by monthly) not to mention the costs we pay toward our health insurance and an FSA account we have for vision and dental.   And my husband is now sixty years old and works close to 60 hours every week...this is awful and I hate it.   It's so unfair and although I get a monthly payment from Social Security Disability, it's peanuts and this year, there was no increase?   Not for me or any one else who is collection Social Security, which is crazy, since we all know it costs more and more to live every year, and that's for healthy people with no medical costs.    UGH!!

    The cost of each Opdivo treatment is billed to our Aenta Insurance at about $35,000.00 each.  This is just ONE of my treatment bills submitted to Aetna -- "Service Date: 02/26/16 LISA (You) ADDISON GILBERT HOSPITAL - $37,286.60" It makes me sick --WHAT if I did not have insurance and they do not cover it all. I have to pay $ 644.03 o that bill (deductible and co-pays)...and that's just ONE of many!!   This is another one -- Date of Service: 02/01/16 LISA (You) ADDISON GILBERT HOSPITAL $38,112.22 and for this one, I have to pay $ 666.04 -- Not to mention that I already paid almost $3K in bills that all went to the deductible....sucks to be sick..!!  INJECTION, NIVOLUMAB (the drug name for Opdivo) -- Service provided on 02/02/2016 - Amount $36,509.55.

    No wonder I feel down..not only and I friggin' dying from this disease, it's taking all our money now too!    I just want to scream......right now it really sucks....!!!

2 comments:

Margy (DS4J) said...

Hi Lisa,

While reading this blog post I have mixed emotions of sympathy, anger, confusion, but also joy and pride. Sympathy and anger that you are subjected to this evil disease, confusion becauseI sometimes do not understand why God allows these things to happen, and joy and pride because you are a fighter, and have a strong spirit. We all have 'down' days irrespective of how good our life seems to be, and I can read you were having a down day when this post was written, yet your next post is positive again. Life on earth is a rollercoaster of emotions, hurts, and joy, and it is how we deal with each of these, that makes us stronger. Go girl, you have developed a lot of strength!
Sad to see you are selling all your craft items, but you need to know that you have provided a lot of joy to crafters through your work - now it is your 'me' time. Focus on yourself - no guilty feelings - and let God touch you in a way that no one else can.

Kathleen said...

Insurance these days can be the most frustrating things ever. Focus on you and I have no doubt that will work out. Remember - you are what is most important. Keep up the good thoughts and keep fighting the fight. I personally am rooting for you.